Biyernes, Hunyo 8, 2012

IS HENARES FIT TO BE CJ?

Under Section 7 of the Constitution, a  member of the Supreme Court must have been for fifteen years or more a judge of a lower court or engaged in the practice of law in the Philippines.

I am quoting this provision in connection with the apparent nomination of BIR Commissioner Kim Jacinto-Henares as the next Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.  I know she is a CPA-Lawyer.  I researched further into her other qualifications as mandated by the above provision, but I failed to get any information on the Lady BIR Chief's biography.  As far as I know, most CPA lawyers are generally engaged more in the practice of accountancy than as a lawyer.  But I do not wish the prejudge Henares unfairly.

Maybe -- just maybe -- she is really qualified to be Chief Justice on the basis of the above-quoted qualifications.  Otherwise, she would have simply declined the nomination from the very outset. 

On the other hand, if she has not been a judge or has not practiced law for fifteen years, then she grossly fails in another vital qualification that a SC Justice -- more so a Chief Justice -- must possess: integrity.

At any rate, I must ask the forgiveness of all concerned, particularly the BIR Chief,  if my foregoing impressions are not correct. 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento